This entry-level examination is based on nationwide research with fire departments. It covers the following areas:
- Mechanical Ability - Fire fighters must be able to learn about and use tools and equipment.
- Reasoning and Problem Solving
- Reading Ability - Fire fighters must be able to read technical and complex material in order to learn and to do the job.
- Mathematical Ability - Fire fighters must add, subtract, multiply, and divide to solve problems concerning hose length and gallons per minute.
- Spatial Ability - Fire fighters must be able to visualize spaces and layouts of buildings.
- Basic Algebra (optional) - This covers the math needed for using more advanced hydraulic formulas and for calculating drug dosages.